The Galiano Club was incorporated as a non-profit society on December 5th, 1924 to:
a) encourage social, recreational and educational activity in Galiano
b) foster agricultural interests in Galiano
c) form a public library
d) build a public hall which shall be used for the above three purposes.
Since the founding of the Club, the objects have been amended to include holding and administering in trust for the community, Bluffs Park and Mt. Galiano. Both properties are zoned “nature protection”. Also added was administration of the Heritage Forest lands, zoned “heritage forest”, in accordance with covenants on that land. In all, the Club is responsible for 830 acres of land on Galiano Island or 5.78% of the island’s land mass.
Japanese Charcoal Pit Kilns in the Gulf Islands: History, Archaeology, Anthropology by Stephen Nemtin
There was a robust Japanese charcoal making industry going on [...]