It was in 1948 when the Bluffs first became a park for the recreational use of the public. The intention at the time was to preserve the ecosystem and maintain its natural state and beauty. Much has changed since that time as the number of residents on the island has grown, as has the number of visitors. The definition of recreational use has broadened and the natural ecosystem has become much more precious as others have disappeared. In addition, the Capital Regional District has begun the process of developing a park management plan for Matthews Point park. Because this will have implications for The Bluffs as the neighbouring park and because the last time The Bluffs plan was reviewed was in 1988, the time has come to update the park management plan.